Monday 9 March 2015

Bárbara, a pierced self

Hello!
Well, since I have a piercing, I thought it appropriate to make a publication here in our class blog concerning a subject that gives a lot of "itching" to our aging population (someone has been studying geography LOL) and to our society in general.
I don’t know, but I think the blog’s administrator was already expecting a publication on the subject. (weren’t you, teacher Alex?)

I will tell you what led me to do my piercing. Well, when I pierced my lip I was (still) 14 years old, and did the piercing because, at the time, I was also heading to the FMM Sines – Festival Músicas do Mundo I was going to make dreadlocks! I had already been thinking about having them for some time and even tried to create them on my own, but in vain. So, lucky me, at the festival were plenty of stalls making dreadlocks for 7 euros. As much as I wanted dreadlocks, my father didn’t allow and didn’t pay for them…
When I came back to Coimbra a few days later, I felt so much anger!  
I turned my rage against all the limited, outdated people and, with my mother’s permission, I had my lip pierced. I wanted to prove to the "world" that the fact that I have a piercing does not mean that I smoke or take drugs; I wanted to prove that dreadlocks are not that bad, not loaded with lice, as many think ... there are people with dreadlocks who have their hair cleaner than those with "normal" hair.

I think dreadlocks are beautiful, provided they are well cared for. There are people who think that those who have dreadlocks do not wash their hair ... LIE !!! The dreadlocks are washed, yes ... washed with blue soap.
Unfortunately, because one has dreadlocks and listens to Bob Marley, (s)he is a drug addict. OMG – what a limited perspective! Unfortunately, that's how our society works, I have to accept, as everyone now has to accept that I have a piercing.
Now, if I go back to the festival this year, besides the promise of a new blog post on this issue, I’ll have dreadlocks made! I will be even more criticized, but I just don’t care! It also happened when I first had the piercing… criticisms and more criticisms: it’s horrible, no boy will kiss a girl with a piece of metal… I haven’t even answered those provocations!

As for my mom, she didn’t react that well at first. Initially, she said I was crazy, but then let me do it and even helped me look for the right place to do it.

My mom has been fantastic, really! I’m sure that this year I can count on her for my first dreadlocks. Finally!






12 comments:

  1. I've never heard your story , but it's true people just by appearance judge and most of the time are wrong. I love your piercing and I'm sure you'll look gorgeous with dreadlocks .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight to the point and well-written, Maria. Kudos!
      As for you, Bárbara, you're brave and your text is a honest confession of a... true teen :) Keep on being yourself!

      Delete
  2. I kinda like seen dreadlocks it´s cool in some people...

    Really I don´t care what people think about certain actions that we make and you shouldn´t care either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bárbara! Personally I don't like piercings, but I respect your choice. You don't need a piercing to be cool!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara you look beautiful with a piercing, but I am not saying that you are not beautiful without piercing.
    I love dreadlocks and I know that you will be great with dreadlocks.
    One advice bb don't waste time with people who say that dreadlocks are horrible or that you stay with horrible with piercing or dreadlocks.
    I support you bb <3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, although not my style, I think you should not be worried about the opinions of others. You must follow your own style, and take naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It´s very interesting!!!!!!!!! People think they can judge others by appearance, but this is wrong because without knowing people can actually say something. But who are we to judge, we are no saints, all sin. Therefore he that is perfect, judging, otherwise it is better not to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Amazing story! I think you piercing is really cool and you look beautiful with it. It matches your personality! Just be how you want to be and don't listen to what people say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your story :)
    And I agree with you a lot of people judge by the appearance....but that's wrong....a lot of young people have piercings and people think that they are in drugs....anyway love yo <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi barbaric, many people discriminate against others because they do not like their style
    if you want to do dreadlocks, make you no matter what others think

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, thank you for your comments, and thank you for having mature opinions about this subject.

    ReplyDelete