Sunday 17 April 2016

Movie Review: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

I like to watch movies, but my preference goes to movies with lots of action and suspense till the end.
However, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, was one of those films which by its emotional and dramatic charge I have never forgotten.
I think all of you have seen this film released in 2009 by Mark Herman and whose main characters are Asa Butterfield (Bruno), Jack Scanlon (Shmuel), Vera Farmiga (Mother), David Thewlis (Father); its soundtrack was James Horner's.
 I will not tell you the whole story of the movie that happened during the Holocaust period, at a Nazi concentration camp in Germany. I just want to remember the empathy created between those two innocent children, who lived in different realities. Bruno, nine years old, the son of a German military officer and Shmuel is the same age, but is a Jew and is in a Nazi concentration camp, where there are many Jewish people persecuted by Nazi Germany, all sentenced to death.
Oblivious of the political issues, racism and cruelties that were happening in the world, these two children struck an unlikely friendship.
Because of this friendship between them, hiding the differences that existed, they became inseparable every passing day. At the end, Bruno entered the camp and accompanied Shmuel on an innocent walk to the gas chamber, where all died.
It was a tragic end and I did not expect it... I was disappointed and sad.
Unfortunately there were some other similar stories in a very dark period in the history of mankind - hopefully never again!!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, João. I felt exactly the same way when the film came to the end and asked myself why so many had to die and so many children suffered the horror of that war...the numbers are so striking and the evidences so cruel that, hopefully, it won't happen again!
    "Life is Beautiful", "Schindler's List", "The Book Thief" and "All the light we cannot see" are other examples that so well portray those 6 terrible years.

    ReplyDelete